Residential Real Estate and Landlord-Tenant

Legal Advice and Representation in Residential Property Transactions

If you are contemplating the purchase or sale of residential property, a skillful Illinois residential real estate lawyer can provide valuable protection of your interests.

Our law firm has negotiated residential transactions of all sizes and requirements. Richard J. Arendt provides legal advice to clients on a broad range of residential real estate matters, including such diverse issues as:

  • Purchase of residential investment property.
  • Evictions for non-payment of rent.
  • Unlawful use of the premises.
  • Homeowners’ and condo association disputes.
  • Numerous other landlord-tenant matters.

Chicago Area real estate law firm for all residential real property issues

Chicago Renters have Rights

Within Chicago’s city, both landlords’ and tenants’ legal rights and responsibilities are covered in the Residential Landlord and Tenant Ordinance (RLTO).

Our firm resolves legal disagreements between landlords and tenants quickly with a minimum of acrimony. Other matters may require complicated paperwork and extensive litigation.
You can read more about the City of Chicago RLTO here.

Every landlord is required to provide a summary copy of the ordinance to potential and current renters. You can obtain a summary RTLO

Illinois Landlord-Tenant Law

When you are involved in a contentious landlord-tenant dispute, quick resolution can save money and prevent a period of negative cash flow from an investment property.

Illinois landlords and homeowners’ associations often face expensive and time-consuming obstacles to expelling unwanted tenants and delinquent unit owners.

Landlords ranging from families with small investments to large property management companies take an enormous risk by attempting to navigate the subtle complexities of Illinois eviction law without the guidance of an experienced landlord-tenant lawyer.

When an LLC or corporation owns a property, a licensed attorney’s representation is not even permissible under Illinois state law.

Forcible Entry and Detainer in Illinois

Forcible entry and detainer matters can be resolved without extensive litigation. However, many residential evictions are not settled before trial. The process of litigating a removal can easily be derailed by failing to comply with substantive and procedural requirements.

Pursuing a residential eviction without legal advice and representation is ill-advised. The State of IL has landlord-tenant laws. Each city may have separate landlord-tenant ordinances. The Chicago Residential Landlord Tenant Ordinance (also referred to as (Chicago RLTO) provides tenants with extensive rights and protections.

Very soon, the Chicagoland area may also be under a similar ordinance. The county commissioners are currently considering a Cook County Residential Tenant-Landlord Ordinance (RLTO). You can read the latest summary. UPDATE 12/15/2020:

Landlords without exhaustive knowledge of this law and other legal requirements often encounter unanticipated surprises like an order to pay a tenant’s attorney fees and damages for improperly assessed late fees. Mr. Arendt communicates with his clients to make informed decisions that lead to more advantageous outcomes.

In recent times, our law firm represents many property owners who need to pursue an eviction following foreclosure. These types of removals can be incredibly daunting because relevant laws seem to be conflicting or overlapping. Mr. Arendt advises clients seeking a post-foreclosure eviction, so they proceed under the appropriate statute, such as the forcible entry and detainer act or Illinois mortgage foreclosure law.

We invite you to schedule an initial consultation with Illinois Residential Real Estate Attorney Richard J. Arendt to discuss your legal issue.

Our law firm represents clients in residential real property matters in the greater Chicagoland area, including the following Counties: Cook County, Du Page County, Will County, Lake County, McHenry County, Kane County, and Boone County. Call us today at (312) 642-9606 to schedule your initial consultation. Visit us at

Scroll to Top